Remote work for moms and dads: 10 options for additional income
In this article, we will tell you how to earn some extra money. This will replenish the family budget without leaving home or sacrificing time.
After all, it is better to spend it with children.
Here are 10 options for making money without wasting time. It can be used when your kids are at school or sleeping. Or perhaps even when they are awake and need your attention.
We warn you right away – these are not mountains of gold. The earning potential is modest and not every opportunity will be right for you. But within a year, you could earn hundreds and even thousands of dollars.
Get paid for your opinion
Taking surveys online can be a relatively quick way to make money. This is a small income, but enough for additional services. For example, Harris Poll Online awards points for completing online surveys. They take from 5 to 25 minutes. Observers accumulate points and can redeem them for gift cards. For example, Amazon or Starbucks. There are others: SurveyClub, Global Test Market and Swagbucks.
They don’t have any registration fee.
Another way to make $10 for 20 minutes of work is to log in with UserTesting and evaluate websites.
You will need:
- Computer with microphone and internet connection,
- You will need to complete a one page demographic profile.
- You will get a job if your profile matches the profile of the target audience of the sites. Then it’s just a matter of using the UserTesting screen recorder. It needs to be downloaded to your computer in order to record your comments and movements on the screen. Site owners are usually looking for feedback on whether a website is confusing to navigate.
Try yourself as an online juror
Some lawyers use this method before the court. Well, to get feedback in advance. However, jurors must reside in the county where the case will be heard. You can register on multiple sites and receive email notifications if a case is submitted in your area.
EJury.com pays between $5 and $10 per case through PayPal’s online payment system. If you are a lawyer or paralegal, you will not be allowed to participate. EJury reports that you are likely to have the best luck if you live near a big city. It is there that more cases are heard in the courts. The average case takes about 35 minutes.
On OnlineVerdict.com, fees range from $20 to $60. Payment is by check.
Launching virtual orders
If you are well versed in the Internet and communicate with others? You can become a personal assistant at Fancy Hands.
The service employs assistants who set their own clocks to assist users. Typically, they require contacting service providers, scheduling appointments, and finding the best prices for services and products. Tasks are paid from 3 to 7 dollars.
If you have an academic specialty and you can spend a couple of hours during the week, but while your youngest baby is sleeping, and your older child, for example, is in gymnastics classes, share your knowledge with schoolchildren or students.
How to find students:
Find students looking to improve their grades on their own at your children’s schools – check current Craigslist.org peer sites to estimate hourly rates in your area – or log into an online tutoring company like Tutor.com.
What is needed for this and what it gives:
- You must be available to teach for at least five hours per week and have a college degree to teach certain Tutor.com subjects.
- Rehearsals are done practically from home via a computer, not in person.
- Tutor.com tutors are paid at an hourly rate based on the subject.
Become a Mom (or Dad) Blogger
If you don’t use your free time between changing diapers, washing clothes, and kids running around to write on your blog, this potential source of income is worth considering.
Just because you’re a parent doesn’t mean you should write about parenting issues. In fact, with so many blogs out there about mom (or dad) life, consider writing about another topic you’re passionate about.
The more original, interesting and informative your topic and your knowledge of it is, the more likely you are to get subscribers and readers and make money.
What is needed for this:
- You can create your blog using the free platform from WordPress.org, but you will need to pay a small fee – as little as $4 a month – to get your blog hosted.
- Try GoDaddy.com, which can provide your website’s domain name, email address, database storage, and other web hosting services.
- To earn money, you can use the free Google AdSense service to display ads on your site. The amount you pay depends on the ad and usually depends on how many people see it.
- There is also something called affiliate marketing where you earn a commission (usually less than 10%) when someone clicks on an ad on your site and buys a product.
- At Amazon Associates, the affiliate program allows you to advertise a retailer’s products on your site, or try out affiliate networks like CJ Affiliate or ShareASale that work with thousands of companies.
Depending on how much time you invest in your blog and how many people visit it, you can earn several hundred dollars each month for a year.
You may not necessarily create your own blog, but you enjoy writing or expressing your creativity. You are in luck because many media, corporate and non-profit websites are looking for freelancers to write, edit or create content. Some pay by the word, some by the hour, and some by the project.
What is needed for this:
- For example, if you sign up for free with Textbroker.com and submit a sample email, you will get a rating based on your content quality.
- You can then choose which projects you want based on your quality rating and earn anywhere from 0.7 cents to 5 cents per word or more. FreelanceWriting.com provides a long list of freelance writing opportunities drawn from several top sites. Many of the latest listings offer hourly rates of $25 or more.
- For $21 a month, you can join Mediabistro’s free marketplace to post your qualifications for viewing by media managers looking for writers.
If you’re experienced with a camera, you can monetize your photos by selling them to image sites like Shutterstock.com. If the photos you submit are accepted, they can be uploaded by Shutterstock subscribers and you can earn between 25 cents and $120 per image upload. Other sites that accept photos from contributors include Istock, Large Size and Sqeeqee.
Sell baked goods
Working parents may not have enough time to drink birthday cakes or cupcakes for school parties. That’s where you come in if you can create delicious baked goods. A friend of mine, who is a single mother, started making cupcakes as a way to keep by staying with his father while he was undergoing chemo. She posted a photo of her cupcakes on Facebook and immediately received several orders from friends. Now she makes about $200 a month making cupcakes for others who hear about her through word of mouth or see pictures of her cupcakes on her Facebook page.
Remote work for moms and dads:
Watch other people’s children along with your own. There’s a good chance your friends who work outside of their homes will be delighted to have a skilled parent watch over their kids while they’re in the office. This can be manageable if your friend needs one or two children. Plus, new playmates will help keep your kids busy for hours. The pay varies greatly depending on where you live and the age and number of children you will be supervising, but nannies and nannies can usually be up to $10 an hour in smaller towns and much more – even double the hourly rate – in large cities.
Was this article helpful? Write in the comments or just share with your friends on social networks.